Thursday, March 17, 2011

Isolation Motherhood

This was a blog that I never wanted to write. A blog about the hardest part of being a stay at home mom, Isolation. It really is an ugly word, and I wish that it wasn't apart of my vocabulary today, but I feel it as real as I feel my heart beating.
I am not sure when it started or how it came to be so prevalent in my life but the reality of it has hit me like a ton of bricks. I am not sure if it's my outgoing personality or need for all things busy, but I am realizing that my lack of companionship at this present time constitutes blogging it out.
So here it goes... My name is Lindsey and I am an Isolator.
When things get tough, when things get time consuming, when things get overwhelming... I isolate. I pull into the garage and shut the door immediately. I stay in my PJ's all day. I don't text or call anyone...even my husband. I watch too much TV. My house gets messy and I stop blogging. I don't do anything about  any of these things. I don't like this about myself and I hope that writing about it will help me change.
I love being at home with Caroline. It is the best change I ever made when we decided for me to stay home. But it does get lonely. I am so used to being around people all the time, I mean come on, I worked at the YMCA. But sometimes a whole week will go by with the only human interaction I get is with my husband and daughter (and maybe the occasional store clerk). I want to get out and do something with other moms... it would be good for both Caroline and me if I did. But as of today, I never have.
So on this St. Patrick's day I am feeling festive and happy. So I am deciding that I need to put myself out there again. I need to find a mom's group that meets at least once a week. I need to do play dates with other stay at home moms. I need to get up and for crying out loud, GET DRESSED and DO SOMETHING! It's so easy to do the opposite, but it doesn't help anyone if I do. So if I put it out to you all, I have to do it... (right?)
So there you go. Isolation I am giving you a swift kick in the butt. Anyone want to go for a play date soon?
Oh and here is my sweetness on St. Patty's day! Love her hair bow!


Hopeful,
Lindsey

4 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us new moms can relate to this. Sometimes it's just easier to shut the world out and snuggle with our little one. I don't think that is inherently a bad thing, but I do think it's important for us and for our babies to be around others and outside as often as possible, even if it's just a walk in the park on a sunny day.

    That being said.....let's do it! I'm wide open and would love for Caroline and Maddux to meet!

    I'm doing a music class at Gymboree. You should come. I'm just trying it our for the first time, so it is free. I'll send you the info if you're interested.

    Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd love a playdate, friend. You know exactly how to find me...so anytime is great with me...but if you isolate...I just might have to bug you, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too! I think we are well (finally)! Let's make plans for next week... is there a better day for you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are me, to the T. Some days I'm okay with my hermit lifestyle and other days it's really hard. I did manage to get out a few weeks ago with a non-mommy friend and found our lives were so completely different it was hard to relate to each other. I went through this with my first daughter who is now 5, and history is repeating itself with my second daughter who is now 13 months. It's just easier for me to stay isolated during this demanding time in their lives. The difference is I know things will improve, gradually. So, chin up sista, you're isolated, but not alone.

    ReplyDelete