Thursday, February 10, 2011

Praying for Your Baby and Speaking Encouraging Words



I am going to be very honest and vulnerable here, so please bare with me. Being a mom has truly taken a toll on my spiritual life. Please don't get me wrong here...I am still as much (if not more) in love with my sweet Lord...but my time to just sit with Him is few and far between. I am getting better about prioritizing my time, but I still have much room for improvement. And one thing that I have learned~whenever we are exhausted, we become extremely vulnerable to attacks of the enemy.

He is ever so manipulative and crafty with his choices of ammunition, so when we least expect it we get hit and end up lying wounded on the floor. This hinders prioritizing room for Jesus even more difficult. And unfortunately, I won't be the only one paying for it.

Yesterday was Caroline's 5 month check up. I had been up sick the night before with food poisoning so I was a little tired and cranky to say the least. But while we were at the Dr's, we were telling him about Caroline's sleep issues and separation anxiety. After discussing with him all the details, he made this statement, "Sounds like you have a very strong-willed daughter. You better buckle up and get ready for a bumpy ride."

As I went to bed I was overcome with grief. I don't mind her being strong-willed (that could be very beneficial to the Kingdom one day)...but I don't want her to be defiant, nor unpleasant. So I prayed asking God for wisdom to know what to do for her and for us as parents. I love it when God answers your prayers almost immediately.

As I was doing my ironing this morning, I called Chris's grandmother just to chat. I told her about the Dr's visit and what he had said. She agreed that after seeing Caroline in action, she was definitely strong-willed. But she did offer me a little hope. She told me to do the one thing that I had not been doing enough of...praying and speaking truth over her. Simple I know, but like I said the enemy has a way of distracting us.
So this is my mission... FIGHT BACK!
I have found recently that I have been lying wounded for far too long. Yes I am exhausted, but I don't have to be a sitting duck any longer. The great thing about fighting back, is that I just have to have one piece of artillery to do this with. The STRONG word of God. Hebrews 4:12 says, " For the word of God is living and active, Sharper than any double edged sword."

So I am going to start praying more for Caroline and over her all the time. After getting off the phone I proceed to look up some scriptures that I can pray so that she would be joyful when I am not around (combating the separation anxiety), that she would listen to Chris and I as her parents (not be defiant), that she would sleep better (combat the exhaustion) and that she would be more like Christ than us. And for those of us who believe in spiritual warfare, remember our battle isn't against flesh and blood (Eph 6:12). Speak out loud...for there is power in the tongue.

That being said... here is what verses I am going to be praying. I encourage you to find some for you and your situation (even if you aren't a mom yet there are things you can speak truth to you in your own situations)
The fruits of the Spirit: Galatians 5:22
Psalms 4:8 (sleep)
Proverbs 25:28 (self-control)
Proverbs 1:8 (listening to her parents)
Isaiah 55:12 (separation anxiety)

And then one for me: Isaiah 57:18-19
Sorry for the long post today :) But I hope that it helps someone else, and gives encouragement to others who need it.
Armed and Ready,
Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. I attended a conference last weekend for adoptive mothers(amazing)and I went to a breakout session on parenting your children in the Spirit. One of the main things she talked about was speaking truth to your children. She gave Matthew 3:17 as an a reference of where the Perfect Father speaks of His son. He gives him and identity, acceptance and approval. I loved one thing she said specifically: The language we impart, rather what we feed into them is what they will think of themselves.

    My Layla is very strong-willed...and I love that about her spirit. When she disobeys me, I'm working on telling her that she is an obedient girl that loves Jesus instead of immediately going to punishing her...she still gets disciplined, but I tell her what the Lord sees in her first.

    Anyways...thought I'd pass along what I'd learned from my retreat! :) Love reading your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lindsey...Please know that as a God loving mom you will have a beautiful relationship with both the Lord and Caroline. AND as a new mom...you will not be exhausted forever...only for a few more years...[just kidding]. You don't remember me much...your dad's cousin in NJ. Congrats to you all!! and enjoy that darling girl...she will only be as calm as you are. HUGS>>>Karin Eveland

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post. I am so blessed to see the woman and mother that you are and are becoming. The Lord will bless, honor, and perform the Word that you are speaking over your daughter. Have faith. He is strong and mighty and loves your little one even more than you can imagine. I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete