Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All things new


Today was a day filled with emotions.


Chris and I are coming up on our 5 year anniversary, and some how I have convinced him to get me a ring upgrade. I can't tell you how excited I am about this <3...>

But there was something else at the front of my mind as I caroused the jewelry store looking for just the right ring, a deep sadness. I mean my wedding ring has history to it. It has meaning behind it. It has my life wrapped in the Gold and the crevices of the diamond holds many of my tears... both good and bad. I dread taking it off for good.


There was a moment in our marriage where I took the ring off to symbolize my unwillingness to work on our marriage. I remember vividly what happened to Chris when he found it. I never want to feel that way again...so I keep the ring on all the time. Sleep, shower, working in the yard, swimming...you name it- the ring stays on.


So thinking of taking it off permanently scares me and makes me so sad. I want a new ring but I don't want to forget what my current ring represents. It represents love, endurance, patience, forgiveness, grace and mercy, hope and lots of work. I know that the new ring will find it's own history and memories in due time...and maybe it's time to wipe the slate clean.


Anyways...tomorrow it's gone and the new one is coming. I say goodbye to those 5 years and look forward to the next 25 years. I mean it's really not about the ring but about the amazing man who gave it to me 6 years ago. The man who still amazes me as he continues to choose me day after day.


Finally as I was getting ready to leave the store, I held my daughter close to me and told her that one day she would enter a store like this with her future husband. I explained to her how exciting it would be, and the love she would feel. I told her that soon after leaving the store, she would call me and tell me in detail about their experience. She then would wait for the day this young man would get down on his knee and ask her to be his wife.


I can't wait for that day... but that young man will have to go through Chris before he can marry our "sweetness".


So I leave you with my ring. I know that you don't know the half of what it has been through...but trust me it holds a lifetime inside it.


With tears of joy,

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment