Friday, April 1, 2011

A Tie That Binds


There is something completely remarkable about all that happens when you have a baby. I mean your body changes, your emotions change, your hair changes and your relationships change. Of course my husband and I are stronger now for having a baby together, I am closer to my mom and certain friendships have flourished even more than before. Other relationships have become a little more difficult to maintain because my lack of time to invest. This makes me sad, but I believe that all relationships have a timeline...some just reach their end before others.

Then there are other relationships that have transpired simply because there now is a tie that binds us. Yesterday I got to go visit, a now dear friend of mine, who had a baby 6 weeks ago. This is the second time that I have gotten to go be with her since the day her life changed forever. Each time that I go, when I get in the car and look at the clock...I am amazed that it has been 3 hours!!! We were acquaintances before, but since she had the baby we automatically have become friends fast because of what we have in common.

It's about having someone who understands completely what you are going through. It's about someone who can talk about poopy diapers and spit up without cringing. It's someone that can understand sleep deprivation and the consequences of it. It's about someone who doesn't judge you for the decisions you make as a new mother to survive. It's about someone who can cry with you when things are just harder than you expected. It's about having someone who can understand the complete love you feel when you hold your baby. That is a serious tie that can bond you faster than super glue!

Like I have said before, I am a serious isolator. I am learning that a lot of moms are. But I am on a mission to do something about it! I want so badly for new moms out there to know that they are not alone. I am learning this lesson daily, so the least I can do is pass it along.

The other day, I made my first mom's group connection. I also put Caroline in the nursery for the first time ever!!! I fought back the tears when I walked away, leaving her in the hands of a smiling woman I had never met, reassuring me that things were going to be OK. As I slowly walked away (forcing myself to not turn around for fear that I would run back and get her) a sweet sister in Christ named Abby walked up, introduced herself and encouraged me that this was for the best. We walked to the room where about 40 other moms sat with their coffee and Bibles. The conversation was flowing, and to my surprise, it wasn't about their children. They were talking about life. They had becomes friends because they all had something in common. They were moms. They understood one another. And because of that tie, they could relax and be themselves.

I enjoyed the group so much, and got some great advice about sleeping and Caroline. As I slowly walked to the nursery (can't believing they didn't come get me because Caroline needed me) I held my breath until I saw my little sweetness through the window of the nursery. As i walked up, the woman holding Caroline said, "Is this your daughter?" My breath caught in my throat as I said, "Yes mam".
Her response:
"She is the best baby. She had such a good time and was so sweet!"
The tears began to roll. She needed the interaction too. As I reached for her, and she for me and we were reconnected, I realized that this journey is a beautiful one. I am so thankful that there are others out there who understand exactly what I am talking about.
For those that do, I am grateful for the tie that binds us all.

From one sister to the next,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment