Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New Vows

I have told you a couple times now Chris and I are celebrating five years of marriage. It's so strange that it's been that long but also feels so short. How that happens I have no idea...but it is so true.

Our actual anniversary falls next week, June 4th. But our New York trip was part of the celebration of this year. I told you in a previous post (All Things New) that Chris and I decided to upgrade my ring as part of the deal also. (Man... I got it good, huh :)?) But after a few minor complications with a previous ring, Chris and I had to regroup. So needless to say I have been ring-less for a while now and have been anxiously anticipating the new one coming. I had no clue when I would get i,t but was thinking Chris just might wait till our anniversary to give it to me.

Either way we arrived in NYC Thursday night and got up bright eyed and bushy-tailed Friday morning ready to take on the city. We travel with two of our best buds so all four of us had come up with a jam packed itinerary for the long weekend. Everyday was filled to the brim with things to do and Friday was no exception. As we traveled into the city the subway dropped us off directly in front of the what use to be the towers at World Trade Center. I can't explain to you the feeling you get when you stare at the big hole in the ground and then slowly raise your head to look at the place where these enormously majestic buildings stood once before. I can't begin to fathom what it was like for the people of New York on that day, and was quickly brought to tears just thinking about it. We live in an incredible Country and if you ever take living here for granted, travel for a quick trip up to New York and visit this site...you will be reminded.

 place where the towers once were
the memorial
the fire department

As we spent the morning walking around the financial district and surveying the World Trade Center area we finally made our way to Wall Street (which was a huge point of interest for my financial husband).


Right at the beginning of this street stood the oldest church in America, Trinity Episcopal Church.


 Beauty doesn't even begin to describe it...breathtaking is more like it. So my love for old churches kicked in and I bolted toward the door eagerly wanting to get a gander at all its glory. So leaving our friends behind , Chris and I rushed in through the door ways and I began snapping away. Here is what we found...


 As I was turning every which way and taking picture after picture, I very vaguely remember hearing my husband quietly trying to get my attention. I honestly was too busy taking pictures to pay attention to what he was pointing out. I mean... I would get to him in a second. But as sweet as he is impatient, Chris finally bellowed out "Lindsey turn around!" As I did, Chris was holding a little box...and sarcasticly said "I am trying to give you your ring!"  (emphasis he added there)
 Oh my...wasn't expecting that! So he grabbed my hand and guided me over till we were sitting in a perfectly old wooden pew. I sat as he opened the box and took the ring out. And instead of just putting the ring on, Chris reminded me that I always did want to get married in an old church, so there in that wooden pew in front of nobody but God... we decided that the only people we needed to renew our vows was us. So we did.
 We both promised of course to love honor and obey...but we also promised other things this time around. To always stand by each other in making tough decisions, to raising our daughter together, being good parents, keeping each other first in our lives, taking care of each others needs before our own and to love and respect each other. Those are our new vows. It was a really sweet moment and one that I will never forget.

 Followed by utter panic. I had been wearing my original wedding band that we are saving for Caroline as a promise ring. So when I took it off in all the excitement, I was quickly unsure where I put it. Chris and I were all over the place looking for this special ring that I couldn't possibly have lost in 10 minutes of sitting in a wooden pew! Finally our friends came in and it looked like we were on a scavenger hunt as we searched for the ring. I found it of course already tucked into my purse (sometimes I am smarter than I look). Anyways, they snapped our wedding day picture of us, so hear you go.
We are standing to the right of our pew...

And then we were off to see the rest of NYC. That day we saw: financial district, China town, Little Italy and Central Park.
Here are just a few more of the pics from that day...
Wall Street had a plethora of things to see...

                                Chris was soaked up in the atmosphere.
 For all those Sex and the City groupies out there, this is where they filmed Aiden's Bar Scout
 Central Park in all it's beauty
 The newlyweds chillin on a park bench in central park
 Watching old guys place fast pitch soft ball from this table= hysterical and cool
 Just a moment between us<3
 We loved Central Park!
And nothing compares to the view of the city from our hotel...New York at night!

Well I hope you enjoyed getting a view of the city from our perspective! It was a special day :)

Hopelessly in love,
Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet day...and sweet that you enjoyed the moment together.

    ReplyDelete