Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Season for Solemn Reflection

I don't think I have ever really understood the season of Lent before. To be honest I was somewhat confused by it. I only heard about it from some Catholic friends I had that were, in their eyes, forced to give something up for 40 days. Some did it cheerfully, some did it unwillingly and some gave up before they even started. So needless to say, I never really took to the Christian occasion.

But as I have grown older and have become a Christ-follower myself,  I have circled back around and have found myself face to face with this season again. The time for Lent.

Chris and I have recently switched churches and found ourselves in a congregation that celebrates the many different seasons of the Christian faith. I would not call this new church non-denominational, but more inter-denominational.They have looked across the divide of many Christian faiths and pulled pieces from each to appreciate and practice. I love the unity of this church. I love learning about the Christian calendar and why certain things are celebrated. Thus just coming out of my first season of advent I was beautifully surprised about the stirring of my heart for the purpose of stopping to pay attention to the "Christmas" season. It was about Christ coming...It was about Him here with us now...It is about Him coming again. It was beautiful.

So now we are through the season of Epiphany and I am partaking in my first Lent experience. So to do so I have done some research and came to the conclusion that this experience is so worth it. As a late comer to the Christian faith I think I have some what of a different view in my walk with the Lord. I wasted so much time the first 24 years of my life that I want to make the next however many long years I have count. I want to know Him more, I want to devote my life to Him and His mission.  I want to go deeper with Him and understand as much about Him and me as I possibly can. I want Him...no more, no less.

So this season of Lent, this season of solemn reflection, is me taking the time to spend with Him so that He can form me. It's me taking the time to sacrifice something important to my everyday life to even begin to understand His sacrifice to me. That I may in the slightest way become more like Him.

One of my favorite writers explained it in her blog "Lent is not as much about forfeiting as much as it is about formation". And if there is anything I need more of it is to be formed in the likeness of Christ. Especially as a mother.

Hence why my forfeiting is coming in the form of social media. Yes, I am giving up Facebook for Lent. I told my sister this and she laughed. As might you. But to be honest, I spend a lot of time on it. I will peruse and peruse for aimless downtime hours just to not be lonely or to put off something more I should be doing. Like spending time with my daughter. Like coloring with her. Reading to her. Working with her on her talking. Simply giving her more of me.

And even more so... I give Facebook the first part of my morning. While Caroline watches her PBS (I am real tight with Sid the Science Kid) I play on facebook and catch up on all that I missed. It is a daily morning thing for me. Bad I know. I have realized that there is just one thing that deserves the first part of my morning. And that's Him.

So I could have given up meat or sweets or TV, but to be honest, the one thing I knew would help me to experience more of Him and more of the daily moments I have is to let go of Facebook. I will daily be reminded of why I am doing this and why I am taking back this precious time. It's to be more like Him. Plain and Simple.

So if you are like me...and you want to embark on this 40 day Lent season. Just do it. Find something that would be a daily reminder of Jesus and what He did for you as He prepared to go to the lonesome tree that has your's and mine's name on it. Just do it, cause He didn't think twice about giving His life up for yours.

Lovingly,
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I am proud of you finding your way to Christ. May I offer [forgive me] a web page, which is Catholic, but it offers readings for each day of the year, rosary guidance [Mother Mary has so very much to do with reaching her Son], and even explains some of the doctrine of the Catholic Church. As a cradle baptized Catholic, years of Catholic schooling, it is only recently that I have found my way back to God and church. As you are finding comfort, so am I. Please look into http://www.easterbrooks.com/personal/calendar/index.php. You will find it helpful I hope. Your cousin Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you SO MUCH. MY heart is screaming for some of this solemn reflection...a slow down...a deep yearning for the Lord to have room and a more dedicated amount of my full attention to continue his transforming work within my heart. I just love you so much for sharing this and I am thankful for your hunger and pursuit of Jesus...I share it. You are a precious friend, who I do not get to talk to nearly enough, yet every time that I do, I am so thankful.

    ReplyDelete