Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Husband

I was quickly reminded this weekend of a couple things that have to do with my husband Chris. I don't know about you but whenever I am away from him, even if it is just for a day, my emotions become increasingly heightened. You see I was gone to Knoxville to help my sister out on Saturday and as I returned on Sunday my emotions and insecurities got the best of me. As I came home, I ended up getting into an argument with him over something STUPID!

But the Lord in His ultimate grace and mercy reminded me of somethings he taught me a long time ago. Here they are in case there is anyone else that needs to be reminded of them also.

1) We were created to be their helper, not their savior. Genesis 2:18 and 2:20b-25
2) We are suppose to take care of our husbands, children and our homes. We are also suppose to be kind and self-controlled.Titus 2:4-5
3) I don't want to be her...Proverbs 21:9 and her Proverbs 21:19

I also write important things down in the front of my Bible so that I can easily be reminded of them...as I was coming to the Lord on this matter this is what I found in the front of my Bible.

How to Respect Chris:
1) CHEER his successes.
2) PRAISE his commitment to taking care of us.
3) PRAISE his good decisions and MINIMIZE the poor choices.
4) DON'T undermine his authority in front of anyone.
5) THANK his insight and  advice.
6) NEVER Chris bash.
7) DON'T make him guess what I need, want or am thinking.
8) LET him know I like him.
9) DON'T try to CHANGE him to be like me.
10) HONOR his physical needs.

These hit me hard...like a ton of bricks. It's so easy for me to get into my day, my needs, my my my my. I forget that this life isn't about me but about Jesus and that way that I can serve him by serving the others around me. Including my husband. But, because he is the closest person to me on this earth I take more out on him than I need to. I am not going to lie... I am often that Proverbs wife above. Unfortunately I nag way to often and I am GREAT at starting arguments (especially over stupid stuff). But the one thing I do know is that I can change.
Another quote I have in the front of my Bible is this..
" How can I change to become more like Jesus and not try to change everyone to be like me?"

I love my husband for who he is. I want to respect him. I want to honor him. I want to remember the things above and live them out, not just read them. I understand that sometimes this is hard when I am wounded and feel like it is unfair, but a wise woman once shared with me that what happened to Jesus wasn't fair either but that didn't stop Him for sacrificing for us.

Thanks for letting me ramble, would love to hear your words of wisdom about marriage to if you would like to share them. And Chris... if you read this...I am sorry.

Humbled,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment