Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Birth Story

I went to the doctor that morning to get checked for my 39th week of pregnancy. I was dilated to a two and had been for several weeks. Like projected, my cervix wasn't softening. We knew this was a possibility and decided to go ahead with the c-section we had scheduled for the 16th of September. My doctor was really upbeat and made sure she told me to get some rest in the next couple days.

I left the office feeling extremely fat and really tired. But with the anxiety of the life change coming toward us at a rapid speed, the only thing I could do was shop. So off to target I went. Waddling my way through the baby aisles and picking up some last needed things for my hospital stay. I finally got a phone call from my sister informing me that she was in town and going to be at my house in ten minutes. So I waddled to my call and headed home.

My sister and I were giggling when we saw each other over the excitement. But at about 4pm I started having some cramping. (Men stop reading for a couple sentences) I went to the bathroom and saw some blood. I immediately panicked and called for my sister. She informed me that it was completely normal since I got checked by my doctor that morning. I accepted her answer since she has had two babies. But the cramping still came, and started creating its own patterns. If that's what you call every 8 minutes :).

Husband and mom got home about an hour later. The cramping became a little more intense but nothing terrible. My sister and mom told me I had nothing to worry about. I agreed since I knew that labor would be way more painful than this.

Chris and my sister went to go get dinner for us as my mom and I stayed back. The cramping was getting much closer, like 4 minutes apart. Mom started to get a little worried when at 7pm I had to get up from the table and went to the bathroom. As I hovered over with more than a pained expression, Chris walked into the room holding the phone and said "Its the hospital, they want to talk to you."

They were calling to give me the guidelines for the C section, but Chris had informed them of the cramping. I reviewed the last 3 hrs for them and they suggested I come in. Chris looked at me and said as I got off the phone "Honey are you sure? I mean if we go in, they are probably just going to send us home." I just looked at him...really? I replied back "I am not faking it honey."

So we got our stuff together and off we went to the hospital. I don't remember much about the car ride just a urgency feeling welling inside of me. Chris spent the drive calling family and close friends to update them and tell them it was probably nothing but to stay tuned.

We got to the hospital and had an obnoxious check in girl who wanted to talk to my husband about him getting her a job at Dave Ramsey. I finally interjected on their conversation in between contractions and asked if we could hurry the process up. They got us in our room and immediately the nurse wanted to check me. As we were talking in the room while and people were busing around me...the nurse exclaimed, "No wonder, you are dilated to a 6!"

What? You are kidding...a 6? Chris and I just looked at each other in amazement...we were getting our little girl tonight not tomorrow.

As the doctor buzzed in a quick 20 minutes later, we decided to go on with the C-section. Chris called our family and told them to hurry up and get there because she was coming and soon. And before we knew it I was getting rolled into the OR. Chris dressed in his gowns and me anticipating the surgery.


 15 minutes after entering the OR, after some tugging and pulling, Chris looked at me and said "This is it...here she comes!" And there she was...immediately changing everything about me.
 Caroline Leigh Campbell was born on September 15th, 2010 and 9:10pm. She weighed 7lbs and 9oz. and was 19 1/4 inches long. She was every bit of perfection I could have imagined... I have NEVER in my life felt anything like the love I instantly felt for her. Her dad and I both were immediately wrapped around her tiny little fingers.


I don't think, as I look back, that I could have imagined what this first year would be like. I don't think I realize just how fast it would go. I am so happy that I was chosen to be her mother, and could never thank God enough for this opportunity. I worry that in the coming years I won't be able to remember this year, her first, the way it runs through my mind now. I have loved every minuted of it...even the hard times, and would do it all over again just for the chance to hold her for the first time. To smell her sweet baby skin. To kiss those tiny fingers and toes. To love her with everything that I have.

Happy Birthday Caroline Leigh. You are the best thing that has ever happened to your daddy and I.

Love you,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment