Monday, July 2, 2012

What does that mean?

I have been a way for a while...but this might explain it.

We have some very close friends that came to have dinner with us on Friday. After we put Caroline to bed and their boys were curled up on the couch watching a movie we sat around the kitchen table talking life.

My girlfriend is all into personality profiles and how they can help you better understand your friends, spouse and family. She was talking about what she recently learned from her taking the Myers Brig personality test and how it has changed her relationships. My husband also loves these tests...I on the otherhand hate taking any sort of test. But somehow we ended up online all taking this test to see what our personality profile was.

As luck would have it I went first. I am not going to lie, 10 questions in with my husband and best friend trying to answer the questions the way they think I am, I was ready to give up.

I am as insecure as the come...working hard on becoming God-secure. So I gritted my teeth and finished the test. I, my friends, am a ESFJ.

"What does that mean?" you say....well it means that the first career path listed under my type is homemaker. Let me say that again....HOMEMAKER! Yup.

As everyone else finished their tests, we started looking at famous people that had our personality types. As the three others sitting at the table comparing people on their list like C.S. Lewis, Calvin Coolidge (and 7 other presidents on my husbands page), mary the mother of Jesus, Luke the disciple and others who made significant impacts in our history, the most famous person on my page was Sally Fields or Donna Reed.

I started feeling incredibly insecure. For the next day and half, I felt like I was less than my friends and their great personality types. They would be changing the world and I would just be running my little old household doing nothing because that's not how God made me.

Until I thought, "Yes this is how God made me. He made me to be a wife and a mom. He made me to take care of others. He made me to love others...completely. He made me a homemaker because in raising my child (and possibly in the future other children) I will be changing the world. I might not be in the hand to hand combat but by being who God made me to be my children might just be the ones to do something great. "

My ESFJ personality just might have a purpose. Ofcourse it does! I have been trying for so long to decide what I wanted to do because I have been fighting this stay at home mom thing for so long! But why fight something that I am called to do. I should just embrace it and give it everything I have. If I am going to be great at anything I want to be great at being a good wife to my husband and mom to my children.

So what does this all mean...it means that it's ok to embrace who you are. Actually do more than embrace it....run after it with all your might. Throw yourself into your strengths and don't focus on  your weaknesses. Be who God made you to be!

ESFJ,
Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. I'm an ENFP...which for me was right on. I do tend to "go with my gut". However, my career choice was to be a stay at home mom...and that isn't even on there. I believe it's just a guide to help if you haven't a clue who you are. You and I both know who we are in Christ. That is the test that matters...the one where our grade is, "Well done, good and faithful servant." Love to you and your BEAUTIFUL personality! ;)

    ReplyDelete