Friday, July 8, 2011

Do It Yourself Friday!

So I have been wanting to get crafty for sometime now... and finally decided (thanks to the inspiration of a friend of mine) to get my act in gear. Thus this new Friday post titled DIY Friday! So excited about the possibilities of great craftiness! There will be things that I have done but also great blogs of other crafty ones.

So this first one is a tutu I made for my niece for her 1st birthday... if you go to the store these things generally range about $12 a piece. I actually found one in Franklin the other day for $24...no offense but this is a rip off because they are SO EASY to make and take NO TIME AT ALL! They are a great shower gift and also great for pictures! (which reminds me...make sure you enter to win my first giveaway here )

So here is the tutu I made :) It is a no-sew tutu (I also made the onesie but that's another post)


All you need to do is go to your local craft store ( I went to Hobby Lobby) and pick up the colors of tulle that you want. I used 4 colors for hers, white, sparkly, pink and silver. You will need a yard of each.
Then you need to pick up a yard of stretchy crochet headband material.  It looks like this
You can buy it by the yard in the ribbon section. I got a yard so that I could make sure I measured it for the right size. Once you get home and measure the size of the material based on your child. You want to start making the tutu.  Here is the video that I watched to help make this first one.

She makes it with ribbon... which you totally can do. I just used the headband material and threaded the tulle like she did through the bottom two layers of holes. Interchanging the colors as I went. So super easy and then to bring the back together I laced up the back with ribbon. (like lacing a pair of sneakers)

It's so easy and it cost me about 5 dollars to make :) Now that's a deal!

Happy crafting,
Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you for becoming crafty! Maybe one of these days I will get inspired too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your new blog design. Do you mind if I asked you who helped you with it? I am looking to update mine, as well. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I did it :) Are you with wordpress or blogger?

    ReplyDelete